Friday, May 11, 2012

The Diary of Francis Terry Leak

At the time I visited the town of Oxford and the plantation called Rowen Oak, I don't think the Leak diary had been discovered yet. This diary is called the literary discovery of the century. It is said it will change the course of Faulkner scholarship. The diary was discovered by Emory English professor Sally Wolff-King. She obtained verbal, eye-witness confirmation that William Faulkner regularly visited the great grandson of Leak and looked through the diary. In this diary are the same names and events found in Faulkner's works.

Francis Terry Leak was a wealthy plantation owner living in the 1800's near Salem, Mississippi. Although I don't know for sure yet, my guess from the brief, quick bit of research I've done on google is that the plantation is no longer standing, but the location on the map seems easy to find.

Looks like I've found my next destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment